Tuesday 2 October 2012

Sun Xun at the Blue Coat art gallery


This week I visited the Blue Coat art gallery in Liverpool. For the next two weeks Liverpool is holding an art event called the Liverpool Biennial. This event is being held in several different locations, and has a sense of a cultural coming together in one city. As part of my university brief, I and two others explored the Sun Xun exhibition which is situated in the Blue Coat. The building from the outside is somewhat a piece of art. This 18th century building, maybe considered a prime location for fine art, however perhaps unexpectedly its home to a selection of modern art. It would seem fitting that Sun Xun’s art seems to capture the modern and something of the old. I felt when observing the exhibition that I was seeing what could be described as modern fine art. Xun is certainly a talented artist, which is evident throughout his pieces. A particular favourite of mine was the hung scroll of birds, a hand drawn sequence of a bird taking off and flying away. This is so impressive because it is how you would view a piece of film, meaning that if it was animated it would create a moving image. Overall I was impressed by the gallery and the art inside. I would recommend the experience to anyone with an interest in art.

No comments:

Post a Comment